How to Get a Copy of Your Birth Certificate from Your Parents
Tim’s Legal Tips: The process of getting your own birth certificate is incredibly simple! For people in the United States who need birth records, most states use a central system to provide certified copies. You shouldn’t have any problems as long as you are asking for documents for yourself. You will need the following items:
- A valid credit or debit card. If you are under 18 years old, you may not have a credit card, but if you have a bank account, you can use your debit card. Cash App is a great option if you do not have a debit card. Cashapp can provide you with a credit card for use with their service. A friend can send money to your Cash App card so that you can use it.
- The billing address on the credit/debit card must match the address where the birth certificate will be mailed. The bank or credit card company will be able to add an additional address to your account if you don’t want the certificate sent to the billing address. Whatever address you use must be on file with your credit card company or bank.
Your birth certificate can be ordered once you have those two things. The next steps in the process are easy:
- You can get a copy of your birth certificate online at VitalChek.
- When you are asked whose birth certificate you are ordering, select your own. This is important because birth certificates cannot be obtained by just anyone.
- Input your legal name.
- Select the state you were born in.
- Select the city you were born in.
- Enter your date of birth.
- VitalChek will next ask what you will be using the certificate for. You should select “Select your reason for requesting the document. You can select “Legal Purposes.”
- The information you will receive is about payment. The rate will vary from state to state and city to city. For example, to request a birth certificate from St. Louis, Missouri, the rate is $15.00 for the first birth certificate and an $11.25 Vitalchek processing fee.
- There are two delivery options available to you, expedited processing or normal processing.
- You will be charged fees for everything you purchase. Vitalchek charges more if you want additional copies. After entering your credit card/debit card information, the document will be mailed to you.
If you live near the area where you were born, you can to the Department Of Vital Records in the city and state you were born. If you have the option to go in person, you will save the Vitalchek fee. That’s it! Getting a copy of your birth certificate is relatively easy.